Lukia Image book

Lukia Image book

2008-04-26

Departure for Long Journey

Otaru to Suttsu : 89 nautical miles

08:00 Started Marine Wave Otaru
10:30 Passed Shakotan Cape
11:00 Passed Kamui Cape
12:20 Stopped at Iwanai, fuel 230L
13:20 Departed from Iwanai
15:00 Strong against wind blow, decided to escape
16:30 Stopped at Suttsu

In the morning, we departed from the Otaru Marine Wave.
I checked engine, V-belts, oil pressure, battery and water temperature very carefully.

But I forgot to train myself for leaving and approaching to a quay.
Our boat, Minor 29 DC is a single shaft boat. That means she has paddle wheel effect. 
 
Because a paddle wheel effect may be very different from boat to boat, I need to find the best way to exploit the effect of our boat when we come to quay. Indeed, Minor 29 has very strong paddle wheel effect.

I departed Otaru immediately. I didn't check forecast. That was my fault.

We departed from the Otaru Marine at  8:00. There were many strange shape rocks on the shore in Hokkaido.

We didn't wonder why there were only few boats around the sea. We could see only sea lions or dolphins.

When we passed Cape Shakotan away 30 miles from the Otaru Marine, the remained fuel was about 240L. We wanted to reach the Esashi port today, but it was impossible.
So we changed our plan and went to fuel at the Iwanai port.

The Iwanai port was a good port.

At 15:20 we departed from Iwanai.

The low pressure zone was coming close gradually. The fishermen already knew it. 
I didn't check the forecast. It was my fault.

We couldn't keep normal speed. 
At 15:00 the wind became very hard( over 30 knots ) , we needed to turn the Lukia to the port Suttsu.


It was hard trip also. The city of Suttsu is called 'Wind Town'. Strong wind brew all seasons around Suttsu. There are many windmills on the shore to utilize wind power.

We cruised to the Suttu port in the against wind. Short cycle waves hit bow of our boat repeatedly. I kept the Lukia with 30 degrees offset to the wave direction cautiously as same as I learned at school. Off course it was safer than linearly approach to port, It was a waste of time.
Even though we arrived to the Suttsu port safely, I had to moor our boat. 
But that was my first experience under such a strong wind in my new boat. We were pushed by the wind and the Lukia went closer to the other boat at very fast speed.
My wife, Mami screamed, "We are Crashing!"

In the same time two young fishermen came our boat quickly, and jumped in to  our boat and  stopped her!. We were saved. They were very nice guys.


Mooring quickly, one of the young fishermen said.
"What a rare boat this is!", with smile.

They had not seen a pleasure boat like Minor 29 DC. Most boats are professional in Japan, especially in northern district. The pleasure boats except sailing boat never go around there.

After interesting conversations with them, we asked whether they know some good hotel to stay.
They introduced a pleasant inn for us.
"Lukia is a safety boat."- That is my first impression of Minor 29DC.
She had strong stability against choppy waves and she could go strait as if she was running on the rails. The first day of my long cruise was just over.

No comments:

Post a Comment